How secure is your personal information against identity theft?
To find out, answer Yes or No to the following questions.
- I shred all pre-approved credit offers, account statements, and financial documents before disposing of them
- I never carry my Social Security card.
- I have a locked, secured mailbox.
- My Social Security and driver license numbers are not printed on my checks.
- I review each of my credit reports annually.
- I only carry those credit cards that I use.
- I carefully review my monthly credit card statements before paying them.
- When shopping on the Internet, I buy only from secure websites.
- I am aware of all my creditor due dates, and know immediately if a bill is missing.
- I know the security procedures at my place of work.
- I never reveal personal information unless I initiated the contact and know exactly who Iím dealing with.
- I have up-to-date virus protection software installed on my computer.
- I never store personal and financial information on my laptop.
- I know exactly what to do and who to contact in case my wallet is stolen.
- I have complete copies of all my credit cards stored in a safe place.
All of my account passwords are too complicated for anyone to guess.
For maximum identity theft prevention, all of the answers should be Yes.
Have a few (or more) No's? Review the Identity Theft Prevention section for safety measures.